Glen's Reviews > Samuel Adams: A Life

Samuel Adams by Ira Stoll

Aug 16, 10

Read in August, 2010

I'm glad I "read" this book. I really didn't know that much about Sam Adams. I knew he was one of the Founding Fathers -- and that he was considered rebellious compared to his cousin John. Like many Americans, I also knew there was a brand of beer named after him. I was happy to learn that his life was much more influential than beer and rebellion. Turns out he was highly religious. He often called upon God while in his many public offices. He was also ahead of his time. He was one of the first Founding Fathers to realize that independence from Britain would be the best path for the colonies. Indeed, he was outspoken in his calls for liberty. It was his many newspaper articles (often under assumed names) calling for independence from England that convinced many of the early patriots and Founding Fathers. On his famous midnight ride, Paul revere was actually trying to warn Adams of approaching British regulars that wanted to arrest him for his incendiary speeches. He dedicated his life to liberty. What a great American patriot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samuel Adams.