John's Reviews > Babbitt

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis

Aug 16, 2010

Read in August, 2010

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Sinclair Lewis and to renew my acquaintance was "Babbit" was purely luck on my part. But lucky I was and the result was a fantastic read and a reminder that author's don't a lot of tricks if they are really good at weiting.

For those of you who might not know "Babbit" it will not be a spoiler if I tell you this is a story about an up and coming real estate guy in a medium sized Midwestern town during the first part of the 20th century. But really, "Babbit" could have been my father or he could be me, so don't let the 90 year difference in timing keep you from picking up this book.

No, George Babbit is just a guy like any other guy. One who has lots of dreams, ego, self-doubt, drive, insecurities, and heart and like all of us dumb old men, oftentimes gets them all mixed up in his brain. He makes mistakes, he says and does things he shouldn't, but all in all he's just a guy trying to figure out what his proper place in this old world is.

So, if you want a shoot-em up or one of those twist at every turn mysteries, do NOT pick up this book to read. On the other hand, if you want to read a well written novel by one of the greatest authors of the 20th century writing beautifully about the human condition, then you should put "Babbit" next on your "to read" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babbitt.