Rebekah's Reviews > The Replacement

Jun 07, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Sounds cool, the cover looks cool, the story is rather lame. I was sorely disappointed. Mostly I didn't buy into the the premise of Mayhem and why they stole babies.

There were also a lot of actions by characters that I couldn't figure out a motivation for. For example: Tate is kissing Mackie one day under a tree. The next day she totally ignores him. I have no idea why, neither does Mackie. That night Mackie kisses a different girl, though it's Tate he likes. Later Mackie feels like he needs to apologize profusely to Tate for the kiss, but still the reader doesn't know why she was ignoring Mackie to begin with. A little later Tate takes off her shirt and they make out on her bed. Wow-that came out of nowhere. The whole episode--why?

My biggest problem was the ending. Mackie comes up with a plan to save Tate's sister from Mayham. It is not a well thought out plan in my opinion. Even if he and his friends succeeded in saving Tate's sister, Mayham would see very quickly that the Tate's sister was missing and replaced with something else. All Mayhem would need to do is take the girl back, and possibily harm Mackie and his friends for revenge. Luckily, Mayhem dies. Her death is the only way Mackie's plan works. Which is a little too lucky for my taste
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

message 1: by Lea (new) - rated it 1 star

Lea I agree! The end was very rushed and very convenient. Also, it left me wondering what on earth was the point of Gentry giving up a baby every 7 years, when the Houses of Mayhem/Misery were actually NOT making the town prosper at all... very, very confused!!