rinabeana's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jan 05, 08

bookshelves: book-club
Read in October, 2006

I read this book years ago and I've always remembered that I enjoyed it. I was glad to have an excuse (book club) to read it again. I had forgotten many of the plot details since the last time I read it, too, so there was some suspense for me. It's clear in the beginning that Maxim and Mrs. de Winter will escape from whatever consequences he's to suffer for his actions, but I couldn't remember how. Reading the book again has raised some questions on my part, or at least made me think about what may have happened... Since we only have Mrs. de Winter's point of view, it is difficult to discover what is going on in the minds of the other characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

Quotes rinabeana Liked

Daphne du Maurier
“Either you go to America with Mrs. Van Hopper or you come home to Manderley with me."
"Do you mean you want a secretary or something?"
"No, I'm asking you to marry me, you little fool.”
Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca

Daphne du Maurier
“He belonged to a walled city of the fifteenth century, a city of narrow, cobbled streets, and thin spires, where the inhabitants wore pointed shoes and worsted hose. His face was arresting, sensitive, medieval in some strange inexplicable way, and I was reminded of a portrait seen in a gallery I had forgotten where, of a certain Gentleman Unknown. Could one but rob him of his English tweeds, and put him in black, with lace at his throat and wrists, he would stare down at us in our new world from a long distant past—a past where men walked cloaked at night, and stood in the shadow of old doorways, a past of narrow stairways and dim dungeons, a past of whispers in the dark, of shimmering rapier blades, of silent, exquisite courtesy.”
Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca