Shannon C.'s Reviews > Shakespeare's Champion

Shakespeare's Champion by Charlaine Harris

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: suspense-mystery

This was an entertaining little (and I mean little at only 214 pages) mystery, however I didn't like it as well as Harris' Sookie Sackhouse books or even her Harper Connelly books. The tone of the book felt more depressing. It wasn't as well balanced as her other series--she usually does a great job of mixing humor and lightness with angst and trauma.

The main character Lily Bard went through a torture and rape years ago, and moved to a small town Shakespeare in the aftermath. She left her old life and family, and became a housecleaner. In her spare time, she lifts weights and trains in Karate. She is hard to connect with--she didn't display much emotion, even in her interactions with men. That is probably a result of the trauma she went through before we met her. The mysteries surround a series of racially motivated deaths, which were depressing and difficult to read about.

If you want to give this author a try, I highly recommend her Sookie Sackhouse series (4-5 stars) and also recommend the Harper Connelly books after book 1 (3-4 stars). Book 1 in that series I didn't care for, but it can easily be skipped because book two gives a good syopsis.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare's Champion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ctanner I like this series. Lily is an interesting character and it is interesting to see her slowly transform thourghout the series.

Shannon C. Does it lighten up in tone? And does she start to display emotions in the relationship with the hero?

Ctanner I on't think it lightens in tone but I think her relationship with the hero grows (highs and lows) is a low key but sweet way. I think you should stick with it.

Shannon C. Hmmm, well maybe I will give the next one a try. I did like the parts w/her and the hero, just wish there had been more of them.