Tony Mac's Reviews > Juliet, Naked

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

4161949
Jun 12, 12

Read in July, 2010

The first half of this book is Hornby at his best – creating interesting, believable characters and exploring the dynamics of relationships with his usual ear for dialogue and understanding of people’s often highly personal obsessions and motivations.

Surprisingly however, once all the characters are properly introduced and the scenario established, the author seems to lose his way. When the story should be gearing towards a climax with the central characters finally coming together its as if Hornby doesn’t seem to know what to do with them. As such, the story rather peters out into a series of mild encounters and predictable, half-baked resolutions. You get the feeling Hornby is deliberately trying to avoid the overly-dramatic, but in doing so he ends up delivering no kind of satisfying outcome at all.

Ultimately its hard to see what the point of the novel actually is, except the rather patronising one - driven home with sermon-like zeal by the author - that all adult lives are eventually of little value unless at some point they involve raising children (‘raise’ being the operative word here – Hornby clearly has little respect for absentee fathers).

All in all a book that starts well but ends up lacking a proper story arc and fails to deliver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet, Naked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara Richiger Completely agree.

Jason Payne Just so. Felt the exact same way about Long Way Down too.

Pennie I agree also. I really enjoyed A Long Way Down, and found it more engaging than this one.

message 4: by May (new) - rated it 3 stars

May Couldn't have put it better myself. Overall, it was still an enjoyable read though.

message 5: by Yoglimogli (new)

Yoglimogli Ok good...it's not just me. I kept thinking the fizzed out feeling I had was part of the point but I couldn't give myself a proper argument as to why anyone would purposefully want to do that. I had to check to see if I didn't somehow lose 3 chapters. I have been chewing on this for days, and that's a good thing right?...but I'm just going to leave this here and keep on walking. (I really wanted to read 'A Long Way Down' but...maybe not.)

message 6: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Kirkman Hornby has little respect for absentee fathers. There are people who do respect absentee fathers??

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Kamish I was going to write a review, but you said exactly what I was going to say, Tony.