Angela's Reviews > The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise

The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: given-away
Read from August 16 to 19, 2010

I found this book to be very slow going at first. The long descriptive passages with no dialogue or even action seemed to violate the writer's rule of 'show don't tell.' The skipping around between past and present and between characters with no warning was often unsettling and disorienting. I would just find myself being pulled into the life of one character when I was suddenly thrust headlong into a different scene all together.

Many of the characters in the book were intriguing with their various quirks and charms. However, I just couldn't understand how some of them fit into the main story. There seemed to be many little side-stories along the main one of Balthazar Jones and his wife, Hebe. I kept waiting for a stronger connection between them but in some cases those connections never appeared. Some of them simply felt unfinished at the end of the book. In fact, I was even wondering whether a main question was going to be answered as I was getting to the final few pages of the book. Luckily it was.

Despite the difficulties that I had with this book, I did end up enjoying it. It certainly isn't one that I will read again and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise.