Sammee (I Want to Read That)'s Reviews > Scarlett Dedd

Aug 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: for-review-read

3.5 Stars

When Scarlett accidentally kills herself and her whole family in a botched attempt to make herself ill in order to avoid a week long school trip, she finds being dead is a bit lonely! Missing her friends so badly she starts to think it would be a great idea if she could arrange it so they can join her...

I liked how the story was written in third person. This worked well as it meant we get to hear from all the characters - I really liked the banter between her friends as well as Scarlett's interactions with her family. We also get the added bonus of Scarlett's blog - I loved these excerpts and her voice. The story itself was good fun and I loved all the ghostly shenanigans - all superbly brought to life by Brett's wonderful illustrations.

I really love the combination of text and illustrations and think it works extraordinarily well to create a book that is unique and appealing. There is definitely a quirkiness in the overall package, as well as in Cathy Brett's writing that makes this really fun to read. I must say I did get a few strange looks while I was reading pages 164 and 165 and had to turn the book around in circles to read it but I really enjoyed that aspect of it - it made the book feel interactive and a slightly different reading experience.

I'm hoping this might become a series as I would love to catch up with Scarlett again. In the meantime, I think I will have to get myself a copy of Ember Fury to enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett Dedd.