~Tina~'s Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

I really don't think I'm cut out for realistic dystopia. I think I should just stick with my survival type adrenalin rush reads like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner.

Without a doubt, Wither is probably one of the most powerful dystopia YA reads of 2011.
The plot is gripping, thought provoking and very distrubing. The writing, absolutely outstanding, but I just couldn't stomach the idea's in this one.
Not for me...

(Arc provided through S&S Galleygrab)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly How disturbing? Is there mutilations and torture? That type of disturbing I certainly can't handle!

Lora Oh, I'm sorry, hun. I'm planning to read this sometime but I know what you mean about the disturbing plot line. I've read some real doozies.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 06, 2011 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

~Tina~ Milly wrote: "How disturbing? Is there mutilations and torture? That type of disturbing I certainly can't handle!"

No, nothing like that, or well, not that I know of, I never did finish it, but I didn't care for the kidnap girls, sold into a polygamy marriages and forced to submit to that kind of life.
Personally I think everyone will love this one. It's just not my ideal for escape.

~Tina~ Lora wrote: "Oh, I'm sorry, hun. I'm planning to read this sometime but I know what you mean about the disturbing plot line. I've read some real doozies."

It's all good, can't win them all:)

message 5: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly ~Tina~ wrote: "Milly wrote: "How disturbing? Is there mutilations and torture? That type of disturbing I certainly can't handle!"

Kidnapping and polygamy! You're right about disturbing...that's for sure! Hmmm...not my thing either!

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 1 star

Nic Sorry Tina you didn't like it. I have read a few reviews similar to yours. I know what you mean about it not being your type of escape. I have this from S&S Galley Grab. I will get to it soon.

~Tina~ I'm sure you'll like this one twinie:)

Arlene Keeping this off my TBR, thanks for the heads up. No thanks to those subjects... says the girl who just finished Stolen: A letter to my captor recently. :/

message 9: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Hm.

message 10: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Hm, indeed.

~Tina~ Seriously Bookers, I think each of you will love this one, it's just me:)

oliviasbooks Each of us? I am still thinking about canceling my pre-order of the paperback.

~Tina~ I dunno Olivia, the story is very powerful and the writing is fantastic. When I was reading it I kept wanting to like it and I did but I just couldn't deal with the idea's in this one. It's a hard book to rec or not rec.
Maybe you should wait till one of the other Bookers reads this on galleygrab to get a better view:)

message 14: by AH (new)

AH Is this the book where people only live to 20 or 25 and girls have to get married really young?

~Tina~ Yup, that's the one ~shutters~

message 16: by AH (new)

AH Have not heard much positive on it.

message 17: by Janina (new)

Janina I haven't either. Not sure if I will read it, but I'll certainly wait until it's been out for a while and there are more reviews up.

Why do they even think of marrying early, having kids and stuff? Kind of hard to imagine people that young would be willing to sacrifice their lives for that. I mean, who worries about the future at 15 when you know you have maximum 10 more years to live?

~Tina~ That's kinda one of the points to why I didn't like this one, Janina. In the beginning of this book, there are a bunch of teenage girls in a truck, obviously kidnapped. They are pulled into a line to be 'inspected', some were picked, the others died. The ones who were picked got 'sold' into a forced marriage, and a polygamy one no less, some are sold into prostitution or just left to die on the streets. Then there is this whole deal that men live up to 25 (I think) and women live up to 20 (I think)
So I just don't get it and basically didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Morgan F If I only had three more years to live I would actually live.

message 20: by AH (new)

AH Morgan wrote: "If I only had three more years to live I would actually live."

I agree.