Adriana's Reviews > The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness & Obsession

The Devil & Sherlock Holmes by David Grann

Aug 16, 10

Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** "The Devil and Sherlock Holmes" is a book that examines true mysteries from different fields and parts of the world to let an audience feel like Sherlock Holmes--in terms of how can they solve these cases by following the steps of the detectives or see how some real detectives employ methods and theories that are something out of a Sherlock Holmes novel. The first half of the book is really intriguing by showing how these true mysteries were ones worthy enough for Sherlock Holmes to become involved in. Some of the detectives would make the fictional hero proud to know there are detectives out there that have the same drive and passion that he does to solve crimes. However, the last half leaves one disappointed because they are weak and don't fit with the theme of the book.

I think the writer lost track of what it was he was writing about and changed his mind three times as to what he wants the book's purpose to really be. This is why the second half doesn't seem to match the first half. The author might have just not used the second half at all. The book would have been smaller, but more powerful and easier to follow along.

If you like true mysteries, it's a decent book. Otherwise, don't bother reading it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil & Sherlock Holmes.

Cedar Just read your review, and while I agree with some things I'm just going to comment on the title reference... I think the devil referred to the Haitian essay... And maybe pulling the name from what could be either his favorites or the best selling/sounding. But stars wise totally, I gave it 3.5

message 2: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary i may read this because i liked the author's "the lost city of z" so much