Debbie's Reviews > Walking with God: From Slavery to Freedom Living the Promised Life

Walking with God by Mindy Ferguson

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: bible-study, christian
Read in August, 2010

"Walking with God: From Slavery to Freedom, Living the Promised Life" is an eleven week Bible study that can be done individually (with just the workbook) or in a small group (with a leader's guide, workbooks, and an accompanying DVD lecture series). I did this Bible study individually using the workbook.

Each lesson took me about 15-20 minutes, though some did take longer. It depended on how much Scripture needed to be read for the lesson and how long I spent on the reflection questions or in prayer. While some Scripture was quoted in the book (usually to show how a specific version phrased something), the participant looked up most of the Scripture in their own Bibles.

There were five lessons per week. The first four lessons for each week were mainly focused on passages from the Old Testament (about the promises God made to Abraham, about Moses, about Joshua, and about the Israelites entering their Promised Land). The author also tied in New Testament verses that showed how these promises and events applied to us today as Christians. The fifth and final lesson for each week was a review of what had been learned in the previous four lessons with reflection questions on how to apply what was learned to your own life.

I found the study very interesting. The author pointed out insightful things I'd never noticed before. She also explained the meaning of certain Hebrew words that don't translate easily into English and gave background information to the verses (like where things happened--there's a black-and-white map included). With this Bible study, you send in for a special, free military-like ID tag. It's a "spiritual Identification tag" that will help you remember what you learned in this study.

Overall, I enjoyed this well-written Bible study and learned from it. I'd recommend it to those who feel like they are stuck in old habits and lack trust in God and who want to learn how to break free and live "the promised life."

I received this workbook as a review copy from the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking with God.