Jules's Reviews > Vixen

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: youngadult, historical, did-not-finish
Read in February, 2011

There should be a "couldn't finish it because it was so bad" shelf in addition to "read/to-read/currently-reading". As it is, I've made my own, but someone ask Goodreads to get on that, because I think making it one of the three default shelves would be a great addition!

This was...well, not terrible; it was certainly competently written, but it was just extremely dull. If you've read The Luxe or watched Gossip Girl (or, hell, read even one of the GG books) you know all the characters already. Which in and of itself might not be a problem; I like the GG show, and I liked The Luxe series! And I ALSO love flappers. So you'd think this would be an easy sell for me.

The problem is, I feel like Larkin ALSO decided that the similarity to those meant she didn't have to do any work to tell me about these characters. It was like she was writing by rote, going down a checklist of attributes characters should have, relationships, etc. -- and she never did any of the work to make me care about her versions as opposed to, say watching Gossip Girl or re-reading The Luxe series. If she wasn't willing to do the work to make me care, why should I care -- or put in the effort of finishing the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vixen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I agree. I have an "abandoned" shelf for this purpose, but I like the idea of a 4th option.

Jasmeen I agree with you completely.

message 3: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Elizabeth Agreed with the Couldn't finish. created it myself but want one so it doesn't tell everyone I actually read it.

Penny I am so adding an abandoned shelf after trying to slog through this book!

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura deLuna im on page 34 and, aside from a few choice historical terms... this book seems very unauthentic to the time period. the girls act and think like modern teenagers. not teenagers from the twenties.