Shaundra's Reviews > The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey

U 50x66
Sep 01, 10

Read in September, 2010

Truly, this book is 3.5, and I rounded it up.
Mercedes Lackey, you've done it again. I love anticipating how the story goes just for the twists and mix up of fairy tales. I love putting people in situations and seeing how they deal. A lite feel good book summer book. I loved it and when I need a pick me up, I'll probably go back to this book.
The fairy tales are brothers Grimm meets Scandinavian with some Unicorns, Dragons, Dwarves, and Godmothers in this book. While the title is a bit of a give away it was fun and quick paced. The book contains sets of challenges which were fun. At one point they give a set of riddles. I tried to figure them out before they gave away the answer. Just to see if I could complete the quiz too.

If i was looking at this as a critique I'd say some cons to the book were that the characters lacked dynamic personalities and depth, that her writing was formulaic and that the all powerful godmother shtick (or queen if you've read some of her other work) is annoying in that the characters don't ever have to do anything by themselves. That a lot of it gets handed to them making the book almost fall short. Yet, I would never consider this book for something like a critique as it's a book made for fun not to instill principals, morals or themes of bravery, trust, loyalty, etc. Rather themes of love, virgins, and happy endings. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Beauty.