Carrie Rundhaug's Reviews > Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir

Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat

Aug 16, 10

In the Amsterdam airport I headed into one of the many bookstores to look at magazines however I didn’t have much time so I was kind of rushing thru the store however while I was walking by a table with English books on it I noticed this book right away. I picked it up and read the back cover and was instantly drawn to this book. Knowing I would have plenty of time to read it between the flights and my layovers. Once I got to my gate and was able to sit down I instantly started reading it. The book captured my attention right away and it was hard to put it down.

Heart wrenching, captivating, exhilarating, tragic, and beautiful is a few that come to mind. Marina Nemat invites you into her past, with all those words meshing together to make every scene that she describes. Her emotions start pouring out, like an open diary, more and more so as you flip every page. But first, she begins to tell you of the day, the 16 year old her, got arrested and put into Evin Prison for simply having friends that stood up for what they believed in, that was against what others believed in.

She is eventually forced into marriage by one of the guards who have fallen in love with her. Although she is not happy about her marriage to Ali she learns to love his family. Towards the end of the book Ali, Marina’s Muslim husband, is assassinated by those he called friends and coworkers. His dying wish is that is father takes Marina back to her family.

This work was not the first writing that was published by Marina but it was the first book. At her high school Marina published several articles that discussed her views on the government. However, what is different with this book is that she tells her story in an engrossing and eloquent manner. I could not put this book done.

Marina does a great justice to every character is the book by showing that reality is not as simple as black and white. She shows the humanity and kindness of the guard who forced her to marry him.

Reading the memoirs of Marina Nemat has made me appreciate where I was born and raised. Sometimes we all take for granted what we have and it takes a reality check to bring us back to normalcy.
One quote we all need to remember is the following: “Ali, do you see what violence does to people? You kill them, and they kill you. When is it going to end, only after everybody is dead?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prisoner of Tehran.