mark monday's Reviews > Tau Zero

131922
Aug 16, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: futuristik-classik

faster, faster, faster - to the future or to death!

fascinating ideas; less than fascinating execution. characters are often tedious, yet still manage to be surprisingly real and at times even moving. overall: dry, thoughtful, mournful, mind-boggling (a word that i probably use too frequently when writing about sci-fi)... and, in the end, rather uplifting.

that said, this is sadly a somewhat forgettable experience. and i just read it this year! i think for something to really pop for me, i need the intricacy of ideas to be paralleled, to some extent, with depth of characterization and/or complexity of narrative. perhaps this is my bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tau Zero.

08/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kane (new) - added it

Kane This review is timely because this almost made it to my recent list of purchases...still thinking about it...

mark monday well, although i deemed it "forgettable", it IS interesting. and if you have any interest in the classics of sci-fi, this is a good one to include if you want to read almost-canon-level novels of the genre.

Manny It's fun, but the science is soooo inaccurate. The problem with this kind of book is that it's marketed as hard SF, but, in fact, it's about as hard as...

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble completing my sentence. Please wait a moment. A soft-boiled egg! Yes, that's the phrase I was looking for.

mark monday as a non-science person, it all just flew over my head - accurate & inaccurate & anything in between.

Manny If you don't know any physics, you'll say it's all quite impossible. And if you do know some physics, you'll also say it's all quite impossible. I'm told there's a magic quantity of physics you need to know that lets it make sense.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike Manny wrote: "If you don't know any physics, you'll say it's all quite impossible. And if you do know some physics, you'll also say it's all quite impossible. I'm told there's a magic quantity of physics you nee..."

Really? There's level of physics that gives the reader an aura of suspended disbelief (or plausible deniability, if you prefer) that makes soft-boiled eggs seem like Hard SF? Wow.