Simsala's Reviews > Special Forces

Special Forces by Aleksandr Voinov

An epic love story over 25 years of war and a modicum of personal peace,Special Forces is a great reading experience that shouldn`t be missed.
I immensely enjoyed going along with Dan and Vadim on their journey but on the other hand I was glad this was "just" fiction...in RL I would prefer to walk the other side of the street...

"What a fucked up love-affair of violence we are..."
- Vadim Krasnorada -
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces.

02/26/2012
70.0% "page 2150"
03/06/2012
90.0% "page 3015" 27 comments

Comments (showing 7-56)

Juri  Jorn Ooo Porquoi? I was kinda scared too about starting this... but I never regretted it! :)

Simsala Huh?
Oops!!! Wrong shelf...I`m getting old...this is a to-read.;-)

Juri  Jorn Hmm, would you like a mobi of this I created? The .pdf that this comes is kind of bad for eReaders. It isn't just a simple calibre conversion either but one with the proper text breaks and an edited cover.

Simsala Proper text breaks - I would like that very much!
Just have the simple conversion...;-)

message 52: by Juri (last edited Feb 06, 2012 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juri  Jorn Here you go!

There are a few errors of a specific type. You sometimes will see...

"This character is speaking.

Sometimes there are line breaks mid-dialogue."

I removed most of them with textcrawler... but some are still there.

Promise you'll read this next? :3

Simsala Wow! Looks great - both in e-pup and mobi!
Thank you!
Oh,I promise to read it next...week,month,year...*lol*
This is not a book this is a project! I will not read it without company or better said someone who will drag me through no matter what happens.Hmmmm...perhaps Td,she asked for a new project...;-)

message 50: by Vio (new)

Vio Simsala wrote: "Wow! Looks great - both in e-pup and mobi!
Thank you!
Oh,I promise to read it next...week,month,year...*lol*

Have fun....Td is the perfect choice for this project!

Simsala Shush!...not so loud,she`s still sleeping...*lol*
But you`re right - absolutely perfect!;-)

message 48: by Vio (new)

Vio

message 47: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td It'll be a re-read...again, but I don't give a damn. I'm here for you whenever you're ready!

Simsala Yay! Thanks!....soon...;-)

message 45: by Juri (last edited Feb 06, 2012 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juri  Jorn I'm thinking about rereading this too... I never read with a buddy before but I want to go back and fix formatting mistakes on the .rtf :3 (Especially since the full director's cut will probably never come out, as well as the sequel Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story)

So, if you want me to... may I have your permission to hold your hand through this too?

Simsala What? Never read with a buddy? We must change that of course!
Td said something about a re-re-read too - at least in parts...
Permission granted...*g*

Juri  Jorn Yay! You started! :)

Simsala Not yet! ;-)

message 41: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Frances ohhh! I've been scared to start! but I'm looking forward to it, just gotta clear some time. It's long isn't it?

Simsala The complete SF has 3300 pages...;-)

Monika I can't believe it, I finished it!!
Happy reading Sims :D

Juri  Jorn How is it going Sims?

Monika Sims does this mean you are done or you love it?

@ Hey Fluffy you are among the living!

Simsala Done?

Monika How far are you?

Simsala Page 1472

Monika Almost halfway, that's good!

Monika Way to go Sims!!

Simsala Sleep is overrated...*lol*

message 28: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td I think the whole think is over or about a million words...so about 300,000 words to go! :D

message 27: by Deeze (new)

Deeze Go Sim Go

message 26: by Vio (new)

Vio I actually don't think Sims wants to finish!!!

Simsala Not really...want to go back to page one after finishing...;-)
Maybe skipping the initial "meeting"...

Monika Simsala wrote: "Not really...want to go back to page one after finishing...;-)
Maybe skipping the initial "meeting"..."

I new it!! Yes, skipping the initial "meeting" is a good idea. I think reading that part again might be harder now that we know Vadim and Dan, at least for me.

Monika Wow!! You are in the home stretch. I can't wait to hear what you think when you are done!

Monika Sims, congrats you're done!

Want to start at the beginning? *lol*

message 21: by Vio (new)

Vio Lol!

message 20: by Calathea (new)

Calathea Wow, Sims, you made it! And 5*! I'm impressed (although I'm not sure if by you or the book... ).

Juri  Jorn Gift time!

Dan and Vadim! :P

Monika The Fluff wrote: "Gift time!

Dan and Vadim! :P"

Yup! I like that. :D

message 17: by Vio (new)

Vio So sweet!!

message 16: by Monika (last edited Mar 08, 2012 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monika Vio wrote: "So sweet!!"

Vio, did you know Fluff sketched this?

message 15: by Vio (new)

Vio No wow brilliant! Talented young man Fluff is so much like another friend I know.

message 14: by Deeze (new)

Deeze WOW Fluff. Your damn good,

Simsala For me? Awwwwwwwwww....
Thanks,Fluff...secret talents...hmmmm?

Simsala Calathea wrote: "Wow, Sims, you made it! And 5*! I'm impressed (although I'm not sure if by you or the book... )."

What about both?

Monika Simsala wrote: "Calathea wrote: "Wow, Sims, you made it! And 5*! I'm impressed (although I'm not sure if by you or the book... )."

What about both?"

Are you grieving a bit? No Vadim/Dan, no more book!

Monika Deeze wrote: "WOW Fluff. Your damn good,

I wish I could draw or paint. You certainly are a man of many Talents. Monika you must be very proud of your second son "

He makes a mother proud! He is multi talented, I'm envious!

Juri  Jorn I did not sketch that!
I did not sketch that!

message 8: by Deeze (new)

Deeze Well whoever sketched it is bloody good,

message 7: by Monika (last edited Mar 09, 2012 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monika The Fluff wrote: "I did not sketch that!
I did not sketch that!

As much as I would like to take credit for someone else's work... it's bad practice :P"

My mistake! Your profile says you work as an illustrator I just assumed...you know what they say about people who assume? and in this case I am!

Now that's bad practice!:(