Jennifer's Reviews > A Girl's Guide to Life: The Real Deal on Growing Up, Being True, and Making Your Teen Years Fabulous!

A Girl's Guide to Life by Katie Meier

Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: godly-womanhood
Read in August, 2010

Writing in a handbook style, Katie Meier seeks to give teenage girls a go-to place to ask the tough questions about what it means to grow up. A Girls Guide to Life aims to give girls the "Real Deal" when it comes to questions about boys, religion, their bodies, sex, peer pressure and more. Unfortunately, Meier seeks to answer these questions without relying on very much Scripture. Buried in the introduction, Meier relates her belief that one of the necessary factors in applying the answers to all these questions is a "Christ-infused strength." Sadly, that is one of very few references to that strength or where it can be found. The author seems swayed by an admittedly feminist upbringing as she parades self-esteem and self-assurance out as the first virtues a girl must have to get along. While she often includes solid practical advice, answers, and resources, Meier obscures the good bits of this book with frivolity, cultural pandering (unable to take a hard stand on counter-cultural ideas), and an over-emphasis on independence, rights, and being true to one's own self--all that mired in the language of today's self-help culture. I cannot recommend taking the author's advice by allowing this book to be a way your daughter can get answers to questions that she is too afraid to ask you. If anything, read it together with a Bible at hand and talk about it as you go.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl's Guide to Life.