Maria Andreu's Reviews > The 4-Hour Work Week

The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss

Jan 07, 08

bookshelves: personal-development
Read in January, 2008

A few weeks ago in NYC, I sat with two of the smartest people I know at a cool brunch.

"But explain it to me," I said. "Just what is it about the 4-Hour Work Week that we haven't already seen?" Having a background in a "work-smarter-not-harder" industry (the coaching industry), what I'd heard about 4HWW had not impressed me as anything particularly fresh and new.

"Well," said one friend, "It's just never all been put in a book like this before."

"Okay." That didn't sound so compelling to me.

"Well," attempted the other. "It's Tim, too. His personality. The way he gets things across." Still unimpressed.

But here's the thing - two people I really believe in and trust were telling me I HAD to read this book. So I sucked it up and ordered it from Amazon (who, I believe, I single-handedly keep in business, though my scant GoodReads list may not yet reflect it).

So I decided to give it a shot and ate it up in a weekend. A fun and easy read. The premise is basically this: so many of us "follow the rules" and strive to tolerate the best job we can get for 40 years, holding off for retirement. Tim Ferriss, the 30-year-old author of this book, posits an entirely different worldview and a straightforward plan for achieving living it - set up automatic profit centers, and take "mini retirements" throughout your life (which he does, and explains in fun and interesting detail. He's studied tango in Argentina, martial arts in Berlin. Cool reading).

The thing I most enjoyed about this book were the practical tips. I was familiar with many of them, having an internet entrepreneur background, but still found plenty of interesting information to make it worth my while. Lots of good detail on the travel side too. He gives you not just the theory, but the web addresses and the exact plan for setting up your own online business and "mini-retirement-lifestyle."

It's interesting to look at the negative reviews of this book. A lot of them sound like, "Yes, that would be nice, but..." A careful read of the book should push you out of that "it could never work for me," mentality. Worth giving a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4-Hour Work Week.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maria Andreu Really smart and fun. One of the two friends I mentioned above is actually living this life, so it's not impossible like so many people suggest. It just takes questioning a lot of long-held beliefs, which is scary. I'm not doing it yet either, but I sure intend to try ;-)

Maria

message 2: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel very good review - haven't read the book yet

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa I recommend the lifestyle. I've been working for myself since 1989 and have been able to raise my daughter as a single mom. The interwebz makes many things possible. But caution... it's a lot harder to work for yourself than people think. You have to do everything... and you don't get paid for a lot of the hours of work you put in. Income is not steady... it usually comes in lumps. It requires a serious load of self-discipline to be successful at. And being patient through periods of lean cash flow. But I tell you what, the quality of life cannot be beat. Period.

Needoptic It's funny how business owners and individuals who've broken out of the mold "get it" and how 9-5 corporate drones bash the book. I personally don't believe one needs to read the book as a "easy way to get rich" but rather as an inspirational and motivational tool and insight of another persons success. A lot of good tips, ideas, and techniques.

Jorja It's definitely not about getting rich quick, it's about a lifestyle. I already live a lifestyle I enjoy... I spend a lot of time with my husband and children & have worked from home for over 5 yrs... I found the book inspirational & doable... I'd like to make more money, just to be able to expose my kids to more things (through travel)... & I think Tim give great tips & practical examples on how to do this.

Pete I agree with you. The people who rated it poor are exactly the people Tim is talking about.