Dhitri's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Aug 15, 2010

Read in October, 2009

I went thru with the book rather quickly. The tragedy of the main character is absolutely gut wrenching and at some parts seemed too outer worldly to me. Maybe these things are really happening in Afghanistan, but I cannot help thinking how a person could actually go through all the physical and emotional torture and so I have had to put the book down for many times.

I loved the book nevertheless, particularly because it laid out the different grey shades of modern Afghanistan, a picture often painted black and white these days. It probably did more to open the eyes of outsiders to what has happened to most Afghani women.

However, I couldn't help but thinking that the women pictures in the book are too much of the same color... either completely helpless, the victim, or the heroine. The transformation is not laid bare in its entirety and that's certainly something to regret. For instance, how have stories and customs from ancient Afghani culture fortified the woman's faith in herself? I'm sure there were aspects of the culture that was empowering. All the accounts were highly personalized, I would have loved to see some wider cultural context.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.