Meagan's Reviews > Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, witches-warlocks, part-of-a-series, paranormal, magic, love-romance, gothic-tones, big-fat-book, supernatural, young-adult, urban-fantasy
Read from August 15, 2010 to April 29, 2011

This was the book that would not end. I was definitely let down since I had heard good things about it, but it just dragged on and on. The last 70 pages things picked up and I actually felt myself wanting to read it which was different from the first 400+ pages. While I do like the authors' writing, I could not help but feel like something had been missed in the editing process. The epic journey they go on (which seems to be the main part of the story) does not enter until around page 300. Three hundred?! Once I finished I was trying to remember what was so important in the beginning that it took 300 pages to set up for the last third of the book and I really think it could have been done in 150 pages...maybe even 100.
While I was convinced I was going to leave this series alone, the ending convinced me otherwise. It was a great set up for the next installment. It also saved my rating from two stars up to three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Darkness.

04/11/2011 page 179
36.0% "Can't get into this one for some reason. :("
04/16/2011 page 213
42.0% 2 comments
04/25/2011 page 213
42.0% "The book that won't end..."
04/25/2011 page 269
53.0% "The book that won't end..."