Mark's Reviews > The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

The Language of God by Francis S. Collins

Sep 09, 10

Read in August, 2010

Yeah, I know. Another "God'n Science" book. This came out in '06 and I have been meaning to read it. I found a cheap copy at B&N and voila!
This book stands out because Francis Collins is not just ANY scientist - he headed-up the "human genome project", the "mapping" of the DNA that makes up all the genes on our chromosomes. This is your go-to guy for advocating that not only can science and faith go together - they must. This is one of my favorite areas of provocative reading. I usually say that if you are very devout and need no discussion, then pass this stuff by. But Mr.Collins, who was not a "believer" as a young man but then developed a strong faith in God even as his scientific knowledge took him to the leading edge of the most "controversial", meaning "about us" area of life science, takes on both sides, and agnostics and devout believers should give this one a go.
Mr. Collins is a gentle, decent guy with no ax to grind. He tells us his life story and how the interesting twists and turns he took influenced his world view and lead him to the area of science that made him world famous. He even explains, in plain enough English, what "mapping the human genome" actually means. Trust me, your eyes will not glaze over. He is writing this for YOU. He WANTS you to understand. Can you have God AND science? Yes you can! He does not "insult" anyone's beliefs or intelligence in making his points. Eventually, he also embraced Christianity. I did not find this part of his story as engaging as the rest, simply because his reasons for becoming a Christian were more-or-less the tradtional ones - not that there is anything wrong with that.
Anyway, read this. It won't take long and will generate some discussion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of God.