Jason Koivu's Reviews > Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2011

I don't give a fig if it is a kid's book, Charlotte's Web is one of the most well-crafted stories ever written. This classic children's tale deserves 5 stars for story craft and language usage alone! (Read your Strunk & White to understand this man's talents in that regard.) The fact that it's a heart-warmer/wrencher clinches it. Never was I made to love pigs and spiders so much in my life. Charlotte's Web will always rank high amongst my favorites. But why, for the love of god, did they make us watch the cartoon version of this tear-jerker in school? Did they want to make us weep embarrassingly in front of one another? If so, mission accomplished, you sadistic school district!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte's Web.

Quotes Jason Liked

E.B. White
“You have been my friend," replied Charlotte, "That in itself is a tremendous thing.”
E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

Comments (showing 1-39)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 39: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Mullin Have you seen the annotated version that shares White's editing process and correspondence with Ursula Nordstrom, his editor? I highly recommend it for writers.

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper You old softie.

Jason Koivu Mike wrote: "Have you seen the annotated version that shares White's editing process and correspondence with Ursula Nordstrom, his editor? I highly recommend it for writers."

I haven't yet. I'll have to check it out!

Jason Koivu Curmudgeon wrote: "You old softie."

Too true.

message 35: by Richard (last edited Mar 06, 2012 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Richard I can't believe I still haven't read this. I have seen the animated film though. It had quite a few stars doing the voices. I don't think I cried though.

Jason Koivu Richard wrote: "I can't believe I still haven't read this. I have seen the animated film though. It had quite a few stars doing the voices. I don't think I cried though."

You cold-hearted monster!

Richard Jason wrote: "Richard wrote: "I can't believe I still haven't read this. I have seen the animated film though. It had quite a few stars doing the voices. I don't think I cried though."

You cold-hearted monster!"

LOL!

message 32: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya Hmmmm, I've never read this one. I guess I will need to remedy that.

Eileen My favorite book as a kid. I can't even tell you how many times I've read this book.

message 30: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Hands down my daughter's fave.

Melki Though I saw the animated film when I was a kid - Paul Lynde was born to play Templeton - I didn't get around to reading this til I was almost 50.

Anyone who can make an arachnophobe like me CRY over the death of a spider...

Jason Koivu Melki wrote: "...Paul Lynde was born to play Templeton..."

Too true!

Richard Jason wrote: "Melki wrote: "...Paul Lynde was born to play Templeton..."

Too true!"

But only when his feet didn't hurt:

Jason Koivu Nice find, Richard!

Richard Jason wrote: "Nice find, Richard!"

I was a big fan of Bewitched back in the day!

Nicole Jason I have a huge amount of respect for you and love your review!

Jason Koivu Nicole wrote: "Jason I have a huge amount of respect for you and love your review!"

Awww, thanks Nicole! That's an incredibly kind thing to say.

Tabitha (Pabkins) I cry every time!

Jason Koivu Tabitha the Pabkins wrote: "I cry every time!"

I don't remember what it was, but the other day I thought about C'sW and immediately felt myself welling up within. I stopped and began thinking about football and all was well!

Tabitha (Pabkins) Jason wrote: "Tabitha the Pabkins wrote: "I cry every time!"

Haha! You big softy!

Tabitha (Pabkins) Yeah well I'm the perpetual 12 year old

Jason Koivu Cody wrote: "According to A.R., this book is for Middle Grades."

All righty, so should I have written "This classic Middle Grades's tale deserves 5 stars for..." instead? I hope not, because it doesn't quite have the same ring, does it? :)

Jason Koivu But to follow up on your point Cody, yes, you are correct. Charlotte's Web could be called a Middle Grade book. I've seen it listed as acceptable for ages anywhere from 6 to 12. I used the shortcut phrase "children's book" in my review because I'm an old man and these reading level classifications didn't exist way back when I was a kid, so I don't really know them without having to look them up. Thank you for your input on that!

Jason Koivu Cody wrote: "Jason wrote: "But to follow up on your point Cody, yes, you are correct. Charlotte's Web could be called a Middle Grade book. I've seen it listed as acceptable for ages anywhere from 6 to 12. I use..."

Well, as they say, ya learn something new every day! Thanks man!

message 15: by Steph (new)

Steph Me too, I'd never thought I'd grow fond of big, talking spiders...... And talented pigs :)

Jason Koivu Steph wrote: "Me too, I'd never thought I'd grow fond of big, talking spiders...... And talented pigs :)"

True that.

message 13: by Morium (new)

Morium THAT BOOK IS ONE OF MY FAVES!!!
YOUR REVIEW WAS INCREDIBLE
HUGE AMOUNTS OF RESPECT FOR U

message 12: by Morium (new)

Morium THAT BOOK IS ONE OF MY FAVES!!!
YOUR REVIEW WAS INCREDIBLE
HUGE AMOUNTS OF RESPECT FOR U

Jason Koivu Thanks!

Zeynep Mehlika How does it work ? I cant read.

message 9: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina I think you have me convinced to buy as close to a class set as I can find for next year. Pray I come across inexpensive copies.

Jason Koivu Kristina wrote: "I think you have me convinced to buy as close to a class set as I can find for next year. Pray I come across inexpensive copies."

Cool!

Michelle Nice description

message 6: by leah (new) - added it

leah Love it lol it's on good reads

message 5: by Monteya (new) - added it

Monteya Everyone shut up

Jason Koivu Monteya wrote: "Everyone shut up"

Why are you telling everyone to shut up? Explain yourself.

Karrigan Davis I love charlottes web

Karrigan Davis Mrs. Terre used to read it to us in my first grade class but now I'm I third grade

message 1: by Jalaila w (new) - added it