warmdesertwinds's Reviews > The Blessings of the Animals

The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle

Aug 15, 2010

bookshelves: animals, fiction
Read from August 14 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy

I picked this book up at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.
I was puttering around during a layover when this book caught my eye and pulled me into a bookstore.
Of course, put a horse on the cover of any book and I will run to it like a moth to a flame, but I considered this a feat considering the state of mind I was in. I was a complete wreck from the events I had just experienced in the past 24 hours. To come across something that was able to pull me away from my thoughts for a mere millisecond was to be considered, well, a blessing (no pun intended).

(I must admit though that I rolled my eyes when I first read the summary on the back. Divorcee? Teenage daughter? An unruly horse? That's the same exact plot of the god-awful Sara Gruen novel piece-of-trash horse romance that I just got through--Riding Lessons. Sara Gruen was even quoted on the back. But in my state of mind, I didn't feel like I had anything more to lose, so I bought it. Sad, eh?)

I read this 400+ page novel in 2 days. An impossible feat for the self-declared slowest reader in the world.

This was not a Sara Gruen horse romance. This was a tear-jerking novel with unforgettable characters and lessons that will stick with you until the grave.

I'm a little hesitant of giving a 2010-published airport-bookstore-find a 5 star review, but this novel had a profound effect on my life. And I say this with confidence only a few days after turning the last page. Katrina Kittle understands relationships. And she understands the keys to happiness. Those keys lie within. You will never approach a relationship in the same way ever again.

I couldn't have read this novel at a more appropriate time. It completely cured me of the dark spiral that I entered just prior to picking it up. As far as I know, I could have still been in that spiral to this day, and in the coming weeks ahead. But now, I haven't felt this healthy in ages.

Thank you Katrina.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessings of the Animals.

Cindy I hope things are better for you! I'm so glad I read your review...I moved this book up on my list and am going to my favorite independent bookstore tomorrow to get a copy!
I have also been through some traumatic events lately; maybe this book will help pull me out of my spiral!
Hope you're having a great weekend!

warmdesertwinds Thank you! Let me know what you think! Hope things turn up for you. This book is quite the healer.