Melizza's Reviews > The Ice Cream Girls

The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson

Aug 26, 2010

did not like it
Read from August 19 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The plot in this book has more holes than Swiss cheese. Does that sound cliché? Well, this book is full of them. I wish I can get the hours back that I wasted. All this book left me with was questions.

What upset me the most about reading this book was not only how Serena and her family never managed to tell Evan that she had been on trial for murder 20 years ago BUT that he never read or heard about the 'infamous' trial that took place in the same country they lived and met in!!! England isn't big, y'all. A high profile case will be part of headline news for ages. So why didn't Evan know? Why hadn't a family member let it slip during an argument? Come. On.

And the idea that a judge could actually believe two young girls of seducing and killing a teacher who had sexually and physically abused them is highly unbelievable. Watching the news tells you that chances are a sexually preyed on underage girl will be seen as the victim, not as the perpetrator.

And how had Poppy and Serena's parents not seen the bruises (Marcus was very keen on splitting lips and slapping faces) on their daughters' faces for the 2 to 3 years this abusive relationship was taking place. I mean, really? Really?

I'm sure there are more holes I can talk about but I'd rather spend the next few minutes finding a good read rather than spending my time remembering a bad one.

Dorothy Koomson, never again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Cream Girls.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Clare You've nailed exactly the problems I had with this book. I just didn't buy that the judge and police would have been so harsh with the girls and that put the book on shaky ground with me from the start. The ending wrapped everything up too neatly as well. Was looking forward to reading this but was left disappointed.

Melizza You know, I read the reviews and I wonder if I read the same book. This book if definitely on my top worst. Glad I am not alone in questioning how good it is!