Jennie's Reviews > Last Sacrifice

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Recommended to Jennie by: Tara, Kristy
Read on January 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Three stars, because it was entertaining, but no work of art. As with the other five books, I read it in a few hours and it was an excellent break from my day.

That doesn't mean I was totally thrilled with the book itself. For example, Dimitri is a lackluster parody of himself at this point, acting more like a hormonal teenager than a tough-as-nails bodyguard. For all of Rose's bravado, you'd wonder that she'd even be interested by the time he decides he can be with her again (he was so much more interesting as Strigoi, and I liked that storyline so much better).

Adrian, at least, gave Rose what-for about the way she treated him. But Rose pretty much danced away from that one scot-free as well.

The political storyline was compelling, but the means that Rose used to achieve her ends - argh. We get it, Lissa is your best friend and walks on water, but she doesn't want to be queen, Jill doesn't want to be a Dragomir and go to court. I guess it's no problem that you exposed Lissa's father's affair and threw Jailbait to the vipers... ?

The part I really did like was that Rose and Lissa's bond was destroyed; perhaps that would help Lissa continue to grow her own backbone.

I'm not rating it any lower, because for all her faults - and oh, does she have them - I much prefer Rose and Lissa as young adult heroines over most others in the genre. Their relationships with men aren't dependent, they have other concerns than romance, and their female friendship never really devolved into resentment, pettiness, or any of the other teenage-lit tropes.

To be honest, I think Abe was my favorite character of the whole series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Sacrifice.

01/27/2011 page 167