Tiffany's Reviews > Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite

Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies by June Casagrande

Feb 02, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: reference, writing, re-education
Read in March, 2007

A quick and funny review of many grammar and punctuation rules. Nice to have on hand if you don't have a proper grammar/writing guide, and the humor keeps you interested and explains things clearer than other guides might, but sometimes even her explanations don't make sense. Oftentimes I find myself wondering what point she's trying to make, or thinking that her explanation seems to contradict her rule. Still, good enough to have as a cheap guide.

---------------------------------

Eight-ish years later and I'm rereading the book. It's still a quick and funny review of grammar and punctuation rules, perfect for if you don't really know the rules, or if you want a quick reference. However, if you're more of a grammar geek/snob, and/or if you have other grammar and punctuation references or style books, this book is kind of useless. It's funny, sure, but the other sources are more thorough.

In my original review, I said that sometimes Casagrande's explanations don't make sense and that she seems to contradict herself. On my second reading, it's not so much that her explanations don't make sense or contradict each other, it's that the general rules don't make sense or contradict each other. Oftentimes, she says that one style manual says one thing but another style manual says another thing. So, really, the overall rule of her book is: "Eh. Who knows."

So if you're a grammar geek or word nerd who's read other style books and grammar guides, you probably don't need to read this. If you're just curious about language, though, and need a quick reference, this book will work fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies.