Carly's Reviews > Fabulous Terrible: The Adventures of You

Fabulous Terrible by Sophie Talbot

3196761
Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

So - I didn't like this book. At all. I really, really didn't. I'm going to try and be as constructive as possible but, really, there's not much I can say.

The long and short of it is this: unfortunately for `Fabulous Terrible: The Adventures of You' my opinion of the story is mirrored perfectly in the second word of the title. Terrible. Well, no, maybe terrible is a little harsh. Definitely not fabulous, though.

Hands down, the main problem with this one is the use of the second person. Of course, this isn't something that could have been avoided as the whole gimmick of the book is that it's written in second person.

However, I'm a firm believer that second person is incredibly hard to write, can so very easily go wrong and is only very rarely used well. The only real case I can think of where I've loved a book written in second person is Stolen by Lucy Christopher, which is in a class of its own.

Sadly for `Fabulous Terrible...' it is nowhere near up to Stolen's level and, while there was a lyrical beauty in Christopher's prose, the writing here is clunky and stuttering, which really held up the plot development.

Another issue I had with this one is that I thought this was going to be one of those brilliant books that were so popular in the 90's, where you made decisions at the end of the chapter and chose your own story (as a side note: if you loved those novels that definitely check out Wasted, which is an excellent current equivalent).

Unfortunately this is not the case with `Fabulous Terrible'. Instead, it's just a regular novel about a girl (you) who's headed to an exclusive boarding school. Oh, and you `see' things. What annoyed me is that the publishers actually marketed this book as a `choose your own ending' story. This is what they say:

`Choose Your Own Adventure's first YA series for girls ages 12+ takes place in the remote all girls' preparatory school Trumbull Woodhouse.'

So, for me, based on that, this should be a `Choose Your Own Adventure' story, right? Apparently not.

One of the things that grated on me about this one is that the `you' is the reader, if that makes sense. I was constantly being told that my little brother was annoying me and I was being packed off to boarding school and had visions and a strained relationship with my step mother. Well, no, I actually have none of those things and I know I don't.

If I was reading about somebody else who was going through all of this then fine, I'm happy to suspend my disbelief but in order for me to merrily pretend all of this action is actually happening to me - well, the writing is going to have to be seriously strong, which it wasn't.

My case in point:

`"Which flavour are you feelin' today?" the college kid behind the counter shouts enthusiastically over the latest Avril Lavigne single blasting through the sound system.
You snap out of your own little ice cream dream and peel your numbed hands off the glass.
"Metaphorically speaking, I'm Rocky Road, but in reality, lactose intolerant, so nothing for me, thanks. Just give that kid over there his cone? So we can get back on the yellow brick road..."'

Oh my, aren't you just so quirky it hurts? Note: If I'm going to be the starring role in your novel, then please, please don't make me so ridiculously annoying that I put the book down after two chapters so I have both hands free to strangle myself.

This is a harsh review. I know. I'm sorry. I wish I could find something nice to say about this book but really, I can't.

Well, 'your' fellow school pals Willa and Anupa aren't so bad. There, I did it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fabulous Terrible.