Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Killer Inside Me

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

Sep 16, 10

bookshelves: birhday-2010, crime-and-mystery, 2010, thompson, cool-covers
Read from September 13 to 16, 2010

Ever meet someone at a party and think they're pretty cool until they let something slip and you realize they may in fact be bat-shit psycho? That's how Lou Ford, the protagonist of The Killer Inside Me is. I also suspect that Jim Thompson may have been that way as well.

The Killer Inside Me is the story of Lou Ford, a small town sheriff who's a little slow and a little boring. Or he would have you believe. Lou Ford spends most of his time keeping the sickness inside him in check. Lou's a sociopath and has killed multiple times in the past. Lou tries to get even with a man he suspects killed his brother and gets himself ensnared in a criminal investigation. Can he murder his way out of it?

The story itself is pretty simple. Ford tries to set something up to sully the good name of the Conway family and chaos ensues. What makes it work is Jim Thompson's writing. Just like in Population 1280, Jim Thompson uses an unreliable narrator and plays it to the hilt. The writing is bleak, powerful, and unsettling. Like I said earlier, Thompson writes sociopaths a little too well for comfort. Sometimes you wish you could warn the characters that Lou Ford is a runaway train and they're standing on the track.

From beginning to end, this was one of the more disturbing books I've ever read. If you like noir, it doesn't get much noir-er then this.

"You've got forever; and it's a mile wide and an inch deep and full of alligators."
61 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer Inside Me.

Quotes Dan Liked

Jim Thompson
“A weed is a plant out of place.”
Jim Thompson, The Killer Inside Me

Jim Thompson
“If we all had what we wanted to eat... We'd have inflation in the toilet paper industry.”
Jim Thompson, The Killer Inside Me

09/13/2010 page 1
show 14 hidden updates…

Kemper Are you done with this one? Your review reads like it's finished, but you've got it on your currently reading shelf. I'm a simple man. Please try not confuse me. It's too easy...

message 2: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink " Ever meet someone at a party and think they're pretty cool until they let something slip and you realize they may in fact be bat-shit psycho?"

oh yeah that's why I don't go to parties anymore. :) Good review.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "Are you done with this one? Your review reads like it's finished, but you've got it on your currently reading shelf. I'm a simple man. Please try not confuse me. It's too easy..."

Lately I've been working on reviews as I go and not posting them. It's easier than trying to remember everything I want to mention in the review when I'm finished.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Velvetink wrote: "" Ever meet someone at a party and think they're pretty cool until they let something slip and you realize they may in fact be bat-shit psycho?"

oh yeah that's why I don't go to parties anymore. :..."

Thanks for reading. The Killer Inside Me was one hell of a crazy read. I think I'm going to skip watching the movie though.

Kemper Ah, I see now. Please carry on. I'll just be over here playing with my Crayons.

Mohammed This one is very special to me, it was one of the first Noir books i read. Jim Thompson impressed the hell out my Noir newbie mind. A sick main character and a crazy read overall. One of the best stories about killers i have read or seen.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Pop. 1280 was my first Thompson. I liked it but I think The Killer Inside Me is more powerful.

Mohammed Dan wrote: "Pop. 1280 was my first Thompson. I liked it but I think The Killer Inside Me is more powerful."

Yeah i read Pop.1280 is similar why i havent read yet. I fear it will look bad in comparison to this powerful novel. Have you read The Getaway ?

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent I haven't read the Getaway. I've read After Dark, My Sweet, this one, and Pop. 1280.

Mohammed Dan wrote: "I haven't read the Getaway. I've read After Dark, My Sweet, this one, and Pop. 1280.

Pop. 1280 was good but the protagonist is a little more likeable and a little less psychotic than Lou Ford."

The Getaway is the so different heist story. For us Parker,Stark fans its very very different. You will see why.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Mohammed wrote: "Dan wrote: "I haven't read the Getaway. I've read After Dark, My Sweet, this one, and Pop. 1280.

I'll have to keep an eye out for The Getaway.

message 12: by J. Bryce (last edited Mar 04, 2012 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Bryce I found the movie more disturbing than the book, somehow. WATCHING the violence seemed a lot more horrible than imagining it, somehow.

I do look forward to seeing Coup de Torchon, Tavernier's film of Pop. 1280.