Adam's Reviews > Born On A Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant

Born On A Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

Jan 14, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Adam by: Costco
Recommended for: Parents or siblings of someone with Aspergers

I think I was expecting something different when I picked up this book and even after I had seen part of the movie that was made about Daniel Tammet's life. I was hoping for more detail pertaining to how he sees numbers, people, letters, languages, etc. differently from other people. More about synesthesia. Maybe more amazing stories and exercises demonstrating his ability to work out math problems or logic puzzles quicker than a person who is not a savant. Instead, most of the book is a slow slog through a detail rich account of some rather mundane experiences. I understand that the main point behind the book is that those experiences likely considered trivial by non autistic persons, are anything but ordinary for someone with Aspergers. However, it became dull for me to wade through three pages about how the author reacted to his partner's pet cat(for example).

Had I paid more attention and approached the book with a different frame of mind, I may have liked it considerably more than I did. Unfortunately, this look at the day to day experiences of a person with Aspergers just wasn't all that interesting to me. I've read several articles and stories about people with Aspergers because it is a topic that I find fascinating. This just isn't at the top of my list for information or insight into Asperger's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born On A Blue Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emma Glaisher Perhaps I am further along the autism spectrum than I thought, I found the details fascinating - the cat episodes were charming, the card game tempting if only I had the time! I didn't just want to read about freakishness, but about a man's life and perceptions.