Jessica's Reviews > America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction

America (The Book) by Jon Stewart

419287
Jan 04, 08

bookshelves: kind-of-depressing
Recommended for: resident aliens studying for citizenship
Read in September, 2004

I really associate this book with the lead-up to and outcome of the last presidential election, and so while I remember really enjoying this a lot at the time I read it, every time I look at it now I get a heavy, sick feeling deep in my bowels, and I kind of feel like killing myself. It makes me flash back to riding the train around for work on November 3, 2004 with one of the most soul-crushing, emotionally annihilating hangovers I've ever had in my life. I remember staring at an excerpt of Yeats's "Second Coming" hanging up on one of those little poetry-on-the-subway ads, just numbly reading the lines over and over and listening to Nina Simone singing "Oh Child" on my headphones, and periodically starting to sob.

It was a bad day and, I think, an important developmental milestone. I mean, these past four years haven't really been so bad, have they? Well, for some others, yeah, but not for me. I really felt like that was the end of the world. I also felt this profound alienation from the rest of my country that was painful but probably necessary.

Anyway, so somehow I associate this book with that time, and with seeing ole Chuck Schumer on the Daily Show a couple days later, just regurgitating the same old exhausted, embarrassing garbage -- "What the American People really want is what the Democratic Party has been offering them all along" -- and Jon Stewart practically shaking him, being like, "Don't you fucking GET it, retard??? Have you been in a COMA all week???? Obviously they DON'T!!! What are you SAYING? What is WRONG with you people????" And Schumer just being like, "Er, well, um... uh....?"

Anyway, so this book, while funny, really depresses me. Maybe I won't take it with me when I move.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America (The Book).