Raven's Reviews > Other

Other by Karen Kincy

Sep 06, 2010

liked it
Read from August 14 to September 06, 2010

Other was definitely a unique story, which is what I was looking for considering the fact that YA Paranormal is saturated with fairy/vampire/werewolf stories.

Gwen Williams is half-human, half-pooka. She can shapeshift into any animal she wants and she lives in a house with her human mother, her human sister, and her step-dad, who all discourage her shapeshifting on a daily basis.

In this world that Karen Kincy built, paranormal creatures walk amongst humans. Though, sometimes, their existence is peaceful, they aren't really accepted.

I thought the premise was really original, but when it came to execution, I felt that the writing, as well as the character arcs were lacking.

The prose is very-in-your face. As you're reading, it's like you are Gwen, and the pacing starts off so slow, that you feel the urge to turn the page, figure out what the heck is going to happen next.

The secondary characters aren't really developed, and a lot of the people Gwen encounters are cliched, and seem like they were just thrown into the story.

Her relationship with her boyfriend Zack is very intense, but a love triangle was explored, and at times I felt that this supposed triangle could have been executed a bit better.

Tavian, Gwen's second boyfriend, is a sexy fox-spirit who is very mysterious at first, but as the story progresses, his character becomes bland and it seems to mirror the personality of Gwen's previous boyfriend, Zack.

There were some lovely descriptions, and when Kincy describes to the reader about how Gwen shifts, it's amazing and very visual, but there were some scenes in this book that were corny, the dialogue, though sometimes good, wasn't really believable, and though I enjoyed the book, I really wished it offered a bit more.

That being said, I look forward to reading the next installment in the series, because this book was really unique, and I hope that Kincy has a better grasp on the characters in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other.

09/05/2010 page 106