Patti's Reviews > Hose Monkey

Hose Monkey by Tony Spinosa

Aug 30, 2010

bookshelves: patti-s-favorites-of-2010, read-in-2010, mystery
Read in August, 2010

Our hero, Joe, has sunk about as far as he can; working as an oil delivery man (hose monkey), dealing with losing his job as a NYPD detective due to an internal affairs investigation, his family to the aftermath of that investigation and his brother to 9/11.

Next door to the heating oil company is a home for the mentally retarded. One of their young men has been working for the oil company, and is found dead in one of the oil truck tanks. This is Joe's wake up call--he takes this death personally, and starts to investigate on his own, in addition to joining forces with the retired IA officer that helped get him fired. Together they face bad cops, the Russian mob in Brighton Beach, and an anti-immigration group against a recent influx of Hispanic workers.

Hose Monkey is more descriptively violent than many of the books/mysteries I usually read, which occasionally made me take a step back, but 99% was a part of this particular story, not gratuitous. In a personal aside, I hate the "c" word, the word that refers to a part of the female anatomy.

This quote sums up the book for me: "None would remember the two ex-cops, old enemies who had come together to find justice in a world without any." (p 287)

The writing in this book is amazing. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hose Monkey.