Annette's Reviews > Rhett Butler's People

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

Jan 31, 2008

Read in January, 2008

What was the last book that brought tears to your eyes as you finished the last page? Not due to the hero/heroine’s tragic death, but simply because you have finished the story? That’s how I felt after finishing Rhett Butler’s People tonight.

Rhett Butler’s People is set “around” Margaret Mitchell’s classic novel. You meet Rhett before that fateful meeting at a Twelve Oaks picnic and the book continues to weave in and out of the well known events of GWTW. The author then takes you beyond Rhett’s dramatic exit and continues the story. Granted, he continues it for all of 90 pages, but it just feels *right* where the story goes after. Yes, I’ve read Scarlett, but I prefer Mr. McCaig’s version of the events. I will also admit that there were a few places in the story that I would have loved to smack Ms. O’Hara and that I can’t recall having that urge in “her” story.

Rhett Butler’s People is true to the original novel. Scarlett has three children, Suellen marries after the War and other characters left out of the movie are here. That’s definitely a plus for me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rhett Butler's People.

02/14/2016 marked as: read

Skye I agree with you about liking McCaig's version of the events after the story rather than the events in Ripley's novel.

message 2: by Leona (new) - added it

Leona I have not read the original book and so did not know Scarlett had three children. It is on my TBR list.