Robert Intriago's Reviews > Three Stations

Three Stations by Martin Cruz Smith

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: p-i
Read from September 05 to 08, 2010

This book is more of a commentary on the plight of children in Russia. It has prostitution, pedohilia, children gangs, under age pimps, mafia murderers, midgets, dancers, illegal immigrants and corrupt militia. All running around three train stations in the center of Moscow. As a side show Renko investigates a murder in one of the train station, which leads him to discover that there is a serial killer who positions his victims, semi-nude, in ballet poses.

This is not one of Martin Cruz Smith's better Renko books. He seems to be trying to make a social statement rather than a mystery with social overtones. As a result I did not find it very rewarding. The jumping from one plot to the other is confusing. He seems to have written two books and at the last minute put them toghether.

Renko does retain some of his rebel qualities, but they only show in flashes and the side characters are as vivid as always, specially Victor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Stations.

09/06/2010 page 85
33.0% "Typical Renko. Up to now not in par with his best: Gorky park and Havana Bay. More like Red Square."
09/07/2010 page 170
66.0% "Depressing."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob This might be the first time I passed on a Renko. I didn't finish the last one, and the one before that was horrendously depressing.

Robert Intriago This one is not my favorite. It seems a little far fetched and depressing.