Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: review-copy, read-2010
Read from December 30 to 31, 2010

3.5

Any fan of The Beatles would instantly recognise the crossover appeal for this book--look at the cover (or look to the right ;))! Not only is the title, The Lonely Hearts Club named after one of the hit band's songs; the main character's name is Penny Lane Bloom (also named after a song); her and her parents are The Beatles die-hard fans, and The Beatles references and song titles appear and resonate time and time again.

Skipping a book synopsis-thingy (the blurb tells all), The Lonely Hearts Club was a whole bunch of fun. It was a real thrill to read this one, and I'm very glad I finally got around to reading it. Despite not being a fan of The Beatles, I found all the references to the band so unbelievably refreshing.

This book is, at its core, about friendship, about breaking barriers and living outside the lines. The Lonely Hearts Club was fun, and it was just the book I needed to read. Eulberg's debut novel may not be the most complicated novels out there, but it stood up for feminist values that seem to be ignored in this day--that girls can stand on their own and be independent and their own women. I don't know why some girls these days throw themselves at guys and feel they need to be with a man to be happy.

I gave this book a 3.5/5 stars because, after 2 weeks, I actually don't remember what happens, who the characters are--basically, nothing really sticks in my mind, nothing was incredibly impressionable unto me. Sorry for the really brief review, but this is all I have to say about The Lonely Hearts Club. It is definitely worth a read though. This debut is fun and quick, and something that I could relate to. I really do with there had been a Lonely Hearts club in my high school!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.