Milly's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, werewolves, vampires, faeries, series
Read from October 11 to 13, 2010

Paranormalcy is adorably cute! Reading the book felt the same way as hugging my adorably cute nephew. :)

It was lighthearted, funny, and deliciously entertaining!

Evie, the heroine of this book, is simply likable! Her enthusiasm and curiosity of the real world is so infectious that you can't resist but join her in her quest to feel as normal as possible. Being the only one who could see past glamours used by paranormals, Evie was kept busy by IPCA to capture rule-breaking paranormals. Evie has always lived inside the facilities of IPCA and has only known 'normal' by watching her favorite show, Easton Heights until she met Lend, a paranormal who's not quite like the types that Evie's used to. Lend brings her to the real world and helps Evie experiences a lot of her 'firsts' as a teenager. I seem to be drawn to this underlying theme of 'innocence' in this book and the experience of first love, first kiss, and other firsts that I became so caught up with this book. It has me quite baffled in the beginning as to what exactly made this book so alluring to me. Now, I know. :)

I did find the premise of Paranormalcy different and contemporary. Though the usual suspects are present like in any other paranormal and young adult books, its introduction of the Empty Ones and the addition of water spirits and an international agency monitoring paranormals is refreshing to read. I'm not quite convinced though of the power of a taser and how it can neutralize a paranormal. I find that a bit overreaching but funny nevertheless.

Cuteness certainly works! It kept me interested til the end. I'm definitely picking up the next installment.

9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

10/11/2010 "Quite funny and entertaining! Reminds me of Janet Evanovich's books with the bounty hunter."

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Seems to be a lot of positive buzz on this book. I can't wait to read it. Great review!

Milly Thanks Arlene. I think you'll enjoy it. It's a fun read! I got lucky when I found it right away at the library.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M I enjoyed reading your review!I think I will enjoy reading this book :)

Milly Sarah wrote: "I enjoyed reading your review!I think I will enjoy reading this book :)"

Thanks! I hope so too!

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Great review! This book was lots of fun to read. I can't wait for the next one :)

Milly Me too! It was fun!