Jessica's Reviews > Kiss of the Rose

Kiss of the Rose by Kate Pearce

Aug 14, 10

bookshelves: paranormal-romance

You know those books, where you get to the ending and you realize that it's to-be-continued? This is one of those. Not a cliffhanger exactly, since the story arc for this book is wrapped up, but the overarching story arc for the series is wide open ... so no HEA. Not even a HFN, really.

There are four main characters: vampire hunter/Druid, Rosalind, who is sometimes kick ass and sometimes really dithery; vampire hunter/Druid, Rhys, who at various times plays the role of Rosalind's suitor, trainer, and servant; Druid hunter, Christopher, who is torn between his love for Rosalind and his instructions to kill her if necessary; and vampire Elias, who is also enamored with Rosalind, although it doesn't stop him from playing his own games for the Vampire Council. There's also Christopher's creepy uncle, a capricious Henry VIII, and a few other, barely-there supporting characters.

None of the characters seemed completely developed to me, although I'm sure there will be opportunity in the coming books. The love quadrangle between Rosalind, Rhys, Christopher, and Elias - with Rosalind as the pivot - is already kind of annoying to me, but I know some people like that sort of thing. (To be honest, if I had any expectation of some hoyay going on, I'd be a lot more interested; the story is ripe with opportunity for it and Rhys and Christopher sizzle more with each other than either of them do with Rosalind.)

I wasn't expecting historical accuracy from this, which is good. There's really nothing in the story that ties it to the Tudor period other than a few costume changes and the use of Henry VIII, which makes me wish the author had gone more full-out with the anachronisms or played more with the world-building. I also was frequently annoyed by how the roles and relationships between the Druids and Vampires seemed to change depending on whatever was going on with the plot at the time.

Bottom line: the concept was interesting and I think this could be a lot of fun for the right audience, but it's not really to my taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Rose.