Louis Vigo's Reviews > Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company That Changed the World

Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: culture, theology
Read from December 26, 2011 to February 11, 2012

Self-awareness, ingenuity, love, heroism. The 4 pillars of Jesuit leadership enabled them to take on the world.

Walking through a rich and inspiring history, gaining leadership lessons based upon heroism and love rooted in the Spiritual Exercises of the Jesuits throughly changed my view of leadership and has given me fresh insight into my walk with the Lord

The challenge for me is to incorporate these views into my daily routine as a construction contractor, and in the last chapter Lowney gives some very practical insight in that area.

I look forward to ordering my day both spiritually and practically, engaging in contemplation in motion, and knowing that my daily routine makes a difference in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroic Leadership.

12/26/2011 page 39
12.0% "At the age of 38, well into the twilight of an average 16th century lifetime, Loyola's track record hardly suggested leadership potential - two failed careers, two arrests, multiple run-ins with eh Spanish Inquisition and other authorities, and no money. He had no notable accomplishments, no clear prospects, no followers, and no plan. Would you sign up with this man?"
01/18/2012 page 109
33.0% "Emotional Intelligence - 5 Core Competencies: 1) Self-Awareness- understanding you moods, emotions, and drives. 2) Self-Regulation- control disruptive impulses, suspend judgement, think before acting. 3) Motivation- passion to work for reasons that go beyond money or status. 4) Empathy- understanding the emotional makeup of others. 5) Social Skill- managing relationships, building networks, rapport, common ground"
01/21/2012 page 126
38.0% "Ch 6, The Spiritual Exercises. This chapter made me wish I would have learned about this before I got married. How awesome it would be to take a 30 day retreat with these guys. The good news is there are shorter ones, and actually the exercises are for everyone regardless of stage of life or time restraints"
01/21/2012 page 137
42.0% "What an incredible man Francis Xavier was"
02/05/2012 page 227
68.0% "Chapter 8 was really good, if not sad. It was about the South American reduction colony's and their destruction. 9 is about their education system, it's good, boring, and important"
02/09/2012 page 253
75.0% "4 Pillars that make great leaders; self-awareness, ingenuity, love, heroism"
02/11/2012 page 270
80.0% "Not taking risks would mean fewer missteps to contemplate at life's end, perhaps, but also more "might have beens" and less significant achievements."
show 5 hidden updates…