Elaine's Reviews > Faithful Place

Sep 12, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read from August 13 to 16, 2010

A big letdown after her other books, both of which had intriguing if farfetched premises that kept the momentum going (even though she never quite knew how to end them). There is little surprise or suspense in this book, where the murderer is pretty well telegraphed early on. On the other hand, there are pages and pages of very trite sounding dialogue, descriptions of life in a drunken poor abusive Irish family (and she doesn't have Frank McCourt's way with words...), a lot of time spent with a fairly unlikeable narrator and a little necessary suspension of disbelief about the ability of people to recall their words and detailed deeds 22 years after the fact. A big book with no suspense or sympathetic characters -- more of a chore than anything else.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faithful Place.

03/15 marked as: read

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Four of my friends gave this 5 stars. I love your "outlier" perspectives. ;-) I gave "In the Woods" 3 stars, and have debated whether to read others by Tana French.

Elaine LOL. Tana French has a heap of talent so I keep reading her, but to my mind, she's never quite come through with a great book, and this was my least favorite of the 3 I've read. I will read Broken Harbour, for sure, as I remain hopeful!

Lormac I felt the same way. Although I was disappointed with Faithful Place, I will still go on to B Rosen Harbor, but ir is increasingly hard to say why. I think you are right in that French gets a lot right but still misses the mark somehow, especially with this one.