Mark's Reviews > The Complete Stories and Poems

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

Jan 04, 08

bookshelves: poetry, fiction, fun-and-play
Recommended for: anyone wanting to know exhilaration without being immersed in disgust.

How could I not love this book? Shortly after reading Poe's complete works as a teenager, my family was transferred to Fort Monroe in southern Virginia. While waiting for permanent housing, I ended up staying in the house (and the very bedroom) that Poe had been in while he served on the base. Pulling out this book and reading it in the very space where Poe had suffered through depression and anxiety was exhilarating. While I realized the morbid nature of my glee, it somehow seemed appropriate as I lay awake at nights praying to hear that telltale ticking.

As an adult, I have come to realize that my love of Poe's horror comes from the fact that he focuses not on the gore on modern horror, but rather on the shocking indelicacy of human potential. I sometimes think of him as the Gothic forefather of Anthony Robbins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Stories and Poems.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brigette-Marie (new)

Brigette-Marie After I read your review it made me want to read the book even more than I already had!

PS. you are beyond lucky!