Esteban del Mal's Reviews > The Master and Margarita

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: fiction, novel, donated
Recommended to Esteban by: Satan
Recommended for: Fans of magical realism and abortions
Read from February 09 to 22, 2011, read count: 1 time too many

I guess being a writer in Stalinist Russia must have somehow been like directing one of those chimerical music videos from the early 1980s. You know, "I've got it! We'll put Satan in Moscow! And he'll be accompanied by an evil black cat that talks! And laser beams and smoke and sequins and Pontius Pilate and jet skis! Genius!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master and Margarita.

02/16/2011 page 150
36.0% "The headless body paddled its feet somehow absurdly and sat down on the floor. Hysterical women's cries came from the audience. The cat handed the head to Fagott, who lifted it up by the hair and showed it to the audience, and the head cried desperately for all the theatre to hear: 'A doctor!'"
02/17/2011 page 235
57.0% "*groan*"
02/19/2011 page 299
73.0% "'It is hereby certified that the bearer, Nickolai Ivanovich, spent the said night at Satan's ball, having been summoned there in the capacity of a means of transportation...make a parenthesis, Hella, in the parenthesis put "hog." Signed -- Behemoth.'

'And the date?' squeaked Nickolai Ivanovich.

'We don't put dates, with a date the document becomes invalid,' responded the cat, setting his scrawl to it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David I despise this book.
Therefore, you'll probably blow your wad all over it.

message 2: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Esteban! I'll expect you to tastefully contain and dispose of that wad properly.

David I love it when Eh! works blue.

message 4: by Esteban (last edited Feb 09, 2011 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Esteban del Mal I noticed that when I scanned some reviews last night. I've been planning on making a 'David Disapproves' bookshelf, and this book looks like a good place to start.

message 5: by Bram (last edited Feb 23, 2011 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bram Yes yes yes, Esteban. I think I've tried asking this a few times before, but why exactly do so many people love worship this book? Not many people know this, but the effusive praise lavished on M&M is one of the great mysteries of my adult life. Does God exist? Is there such thing as absolute Truth? These questions are as uninteresting as Kowalski's South Bend commute when compared to the urgent unscratchable itch that is my curiosity on this matter.

David My commute is fascinating, Wisp! Especially when I am blasting A-ha, singing at the top of my lungs, and trying to rub a tooth paste stain out of the crotch of my pants. (At least, I think that's tooth paste.)

Ernie, you deserve (admittedly begrudged) kudos for recognizing that this thing (as the New York Review of Books might say) sucks donkey ass.

message 7: by Esteban (last edited Feb 24, 2011 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Esteban del Mal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11X...

A-ha is pretty linear and downright lucid when it comes to 1980s music videos.

I have no idea why anyone would love this book. Maybe the context in which it was written...?

Paquita Maria Sanchez HA! Awww, snap!!!

I really liked this book, as you may know. However, I expect that a whole, whole lotta people don't. Sometimes it's nice to read something that you just straight ENJOYED reading. I ENJOYED reading it. I also quite enjoy snarky reviews about books that I like...especially when they contain 1980's New Wave video references of any kind. Nice work, betch.

Esteban del Mal No, I think you're in the majority here, Kristi. Most people ADORE this book. It was all over the place to me, like a mash of vignettes, and the magical parts of it just seemed like a convenient way to cover-up all the flaws.

But hey. That's just me. And I live in Bakersfield, so nobody should pay any attention because I am quite obviously deranged. Although, I have given thought recently to moving to Sri Lanka...