Sarai's Reviews > The Ghost and the Goth

Aug 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, young-adult-romance
Read in August, 2010

I liked this book well enough. It had some humor in it, decent pacing. I did have a couple of problems, though. There were two things that characters "confessed" at the end of the book that I thought they had already confessed earlier, but I did not go back and check so I could be wrong about that.

The other thing that bothered me had to do with the 'ghostiness' stuff. Why does the ghost of Alona have to concentrate on the elevator floor being solid so she won't sink through, but she does not have to concentrate on the second floor being solid? For that matter, if she has to focus on anything being solid, why doesn't she just sink into the center of the earth? That sort of thing has always bothered me about ghost stories. She can make herself solid enough to push folders around on the floor, but not to physically touch someone who can't see her? Except for a girl in a coma, whose hand she gets stuck to? And, why was Alona so smart when she was talking to Will, but when talking to other spirits she came across as pretty dense? The inconsistencies just drove me nuts.

Product Description
After a close encounter with the front end of a school bus, Alona Dare goes from Homecoming Queen to Queen of the Dead. Now she’s stuck as a spirit (DON’T call her a ghost) in the land of the living with no sign of the big, bright light to take her away. To make matters worse, the only person who might be able to help her is Will Killian, a total loser outcast who despises the social elite. He alone can see and hear (turns out he’s been “blessed” with the ability to communicate with the dead), but he wants nothing to do with the former mean girl of Groundsboro High.

Alona has never needed anyone for anything, and now she’s supposed to expose her deepest, darkest secrets to this pseudo-goth boy? Right. She’s not telling anyone what really happened the day she died, not even to save her eternal soul. And Will’s not filling out any volunteer forms to help her cross to the other side. He only has a few more weeks until his graduation, when he can strike out on his own and find a place with less spiritual interference. But he has to survive and stay out of the psych ward until then. Can they get over their mutual distrust—and the weird attraction between them—to work together before Alona vanishes for good and Will is locked up for seeing things that don’t exist?
The book was a light read and I did enjoy it well enough.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost and the Goth.