Colleen's Reviews > The Three Weissmanns of Westport

The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine

Aug 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from August 13 to 23, 2010

This book was a huge disappointment. I bought the book as a result of seeing a glowing review in the New York Times. Other reviews I read suggested this was going to be a funny book about a mother and her daughters exiled in Westport. Either Schine forgot to bring the funny or these reviewers have a wildly different definition of what is funny compared to me.

I found myself struggling to finish the book. After about 100 pages I thought about giving it up but since I actually bought the book I felt like I should see it to the end. I also kept thinking that it would improve. It did not.

The women in the book were annoying and weak. I wanted to care about Betty, Annie and Miranda and their plights but I couldn't be bothered because I never felt any sort of connection to them or any of the other characters. The only character I did enjoy was that of a young child, Harry, who ends up being cared for by Miranda.

Lastly, I think if Jane Austen were to read this book I really don't think she would be happy with the comparisons to Sense and Sensibility. That book is a classic. This is not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Weissmanns of Westport.

08/13/2010 page 100
34.0% "I'm 100 pages into this book and really not sure why I'm continuing. I'm not loving it. This isn't what I expected."
08/21/2010 page 200
68.0% "I still don't know why I'm finishing this book."