Julie S.'s Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Aug 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-dystopian-fantasy, read-in-2010

** spoiler alert ** Before I start my review, first I must comment on the book cover. Nice cover except for the lettering towards the top. It says, "The Mortal Instruments series is as story world that I love to live in. Beautiful!" -Stephenie Meyer, Author of Twilight.

That bugs me because it is linking this series to Meyer, who is not related at all. I just wish that they had put her comment on the back with the others, especially when there are other authors that commented. It's just annoying that they did that.

As for the story:
Overall an exciting urban fantasy adventure with magic, mythical creatures, and a good plot. I was a bit disgusted by the violence that seemed too graphic.

However, I was not too shocked that Jace and Clary were siblings and that Valentine was their father. Sounds a bit like Darth Vader and his two children in Star Wars. I'm not saying this book is a total rip-off from Star Wars because it was not.

Now my guess is that they won't be related in some magical twist that will be revealed in some later book. However, I really don't care enough to continue with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.