Christina's Reviews > I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: actionadventure, science_fiction
Read in September, 2010

Fun, fast-paced sci fi thriller narrated by "John Smith," who's really an alien from the planet Lorien who lives undetected among us in Ohio. He's a typical teenage boy, trying to avoid bullies, stay low profile and fit in at one new school after another, as he and his guardian/father figure Henri have been moving all over the country, trying to stay ahead of the evil Mogadorians--other aliens from the planet Mogadore (those of us who live near the real Ohio town of that name are snickering at this!) who are out to kill John and the other 8 Lorien refugees. The Mogadorians wiped out the planet Lorien and want to take over Earth as well! John can tell when another of his fellow immigrant Loriens has died, even though he's never met any of them, because a scar appears on *his* ankle at the moment of death. The book's title comes from the fact that the Mogadorians have to kill the Loriens in number order: 3 are dead, and he is next! I had a lot of fun with this book, from the premise alone, and the fact that just as John is meeting a cool girl who may be interested in him, he's also dealing with the manifestation of his alien powers--hard to "fit in" when you have glowing hands! This story has a lot of similarities with the Superman story--alien boy on earth, awkward superpowers, trying to appear like a normal human--but it's also very different, especially as other characters come into play. Great sci fi action sequences that I'd love to see filmed (there is a movie in the works), and also good teen angsty stuff and a little romance. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Number Four.