Rebecca Cohen's Reviews > Just Like Us: The True Story of Four Mexican Girls Coming of Age in America

Just Like Us by Helen Thorpe

Aug 13, 10

Read in August, 2010

My friend Sarah recommended this book to me. It was quite good and easy to read. The protagonists of the book were wonderful. You were definitely rooting for them the whole time. It also offers a fascinating look into the practical day to day difficulties that exist for those without status in the U.S. Though, I found the author, the Mayor's wife, to be irritating. I especially got annoyed with her at the end of the book when she made these distinctions between Americans and Mexicans that were borderline offensive. She seemed to imply that Mexican women don't get educated and have babies whereas Americans are ambitious and put education before children/families. It was a little bit unfortunate. But otherwise a good read. Thanks Sarah!

Also, I'm trying to recalibrate my rating system a little (because I like everything) so this book got three stars when in the past I might have given it four.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Us.