Eric's Reviews > Sharpe's Rifles

Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell

Aug 13, 10

Read in August, 2010

This is the first written in the Sharpe Series but now # 6 chronologically. It's the 1st one I've read. The first half reminded me of a Benny Hill chase skit with Yakety Sax playing if it had been directed by Ridley Scott. The latter half reminded me of Saving Private Ryan set during the Napoleonic Wars.

I've never cared much for this period of history but since I started reading it I've Gooogled Napoleonic stuff constantly, have 3 library books I was using for background, and am listening to the Napoleon podcast on iTunes to get up to speed. Oh, I've fought the urge to start watching the Sharpe series on Netflix starring Sean Bean so as to not spoil the book series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharpe's Rifles.

message 1: by Dave (last edited Dec 25, 2010 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Watching the Sean Bean TV series (which by now is certainly showing it's age...) should not have an averse affect on your enjoyment of the book series. Due to budgetary & time constraints the TV series (especially the older ones) have significantly truncated story-scripts and casts (especially "extras"). In fact, you might well be advised to watch each respective show before reading the matching book. This might serve to make the more-fleshed out book plot a bonus. I discovered the TV series by random channel-surfing on my local PBS affiliate and then proceeded to buy the original batch on VHS (expensive as it was at the time). While it took several more years befire I actually got around to reading my first Sharpe novel I must say I fondly recall the shows as the inspiration to add Mr. Cornwell as an author I routinely shop for during my frequent bookstore visits.

Eric Since I first wrote this reviews I did watch the first Sharpe episode. I see your points: It is dated and was truncated. Sean Bean is excellent though.