rinabeana's Reviews > Jane_e, Friendless Orphan: A Memoir

Jane_e, Friendless Orphan by Erin McCole Cupp

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: brontë
Read from January 07 to 08, 2012, read count: 2

Let me first say that Jane Eyre is my favorite book and I've read it more times than I can remember. To say I'm familiar with the story would be an understatement. I'll come out and say it: I was skeptical of Jane_E when I heard about it. However, my interest became more and more piqued as Erin McCole-Cupp shared excerpts, designed contests and offered promotions leading up to the release date. After reading a few chapters I was totally sold and preordered the book, eager to hold a personally autographed copy in my greedy little hands.

In short, I devoured this book. Futuristic stuff isn't necessarily my thing. Modernizing classics isn't necessarily my thing. This book just worked though! I was sucked in right from the very start. Above all else, McCole-Cupp paid attention to detail! It was obvious to me she's read Jane Eyre quite a few times. I loved all the little references to Jane Eyre and the way she made some of the more dated aspects of the story (it was written in the mid-1800s!) realistic in a future setting. Additionally, though I knew how the story would end up, the journey in Jane_E was different enough from Jane Eyre that I was kept in relative suspense. However, when things came together, I remembered little clues that had been sprinkled throughout the story (which I may not have noticed while reading them) and the whole thing was totally believable. I think that's one of the marks of a good writer—no plot holes!

Anyway, I could probably babble on about this forever, but suffice it to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and I intend to read it again and recommend it to anyone who will listen! GO READ IT!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane_e, Friendless Orphan.