Jay's Reviews > Classical Ballet Technique

Classical Ballet Technique by Gretchen Ward Warren

2419499
Aug 13, 2010

bookshelves: ballet, books-i-own, deliciousness, non-fiction
Read from August 13 to 14, 2010

Many thanks to Peter for buying me this gorgeous book for my birthday.

This is basically one of the best how-to books for ballet you're going to find. Most ballet steps are in here, along with linking steps, as well as ballet standards.

It's a ballet dancer's bible. I learnt a lot from it (especially tour jetes... my gosh, I just can't do them. But who knows, maybe now I will!), and I'm not even aspiring to be a professional dancer.

The most helpful thing is the photos. Every photo has instructions underneath, but for me, being able to see the dancer do it in the photo is the biggest help. It also has photos showing incorrect placement, posture, things like that. Every chapter also has notes, mostly directed for the teacher. Also, it has wonderful suggestions for teachers, on how to conduct the classroom, steps that should be done every class, along with tips for progression (from beginner, to intermediate to advanced), and suggested combinations.

The only thing I have a grumble with is really quite superficial. Why unitards? Why bodystockings? They look so ugly, especially in black and white. I can't tell you how many times I was looking at a photo, thinking 'is he naked? is she wearing anything?' Oops!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Classical Ballet Technique.