Kelly's Reviews > Cinderella, Vol. 1: From Fabletown with Love

Cinderella, Vol. 1 by Chris Roberson

Aug 12, 10

Read on August 11, 2010

I am a huge Fables fan, and I've enjoyed the references to Cinderella being a secret agent who's hiding behind a superficial socialite persona. (Although this male fantasy thing of powerful women only being worth writing about if they are also hot and sexy and occasionally use sex to get something they want is also a bit tiresome, but whatever, I'm used to it.) The story is decent enough but a bit on the shallow side. It is primarily about one mission Cinderella undertakes in the modern post-Adversary-war period, but we do see snippets of her history which are somewhat interesting. It gets a bit preachy in the middle with some of the characters from Baghdad, but fortunately that doesn't last long. And there was a bit of a cliched ending that sort of annoyed me. But I can say that given recent events, the scene involving Puss-in-Boots, drilling mud, Cinderella, Aladdin, and a blowout prevent system totally made me laugh out loud.

So I'd say this is a must-read for Fables fans, but if you're new to the Fables world, I'd definitely start elsewhere (perhaps Vol. 1...).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella, Vol. 1.